Detox Food: Fruit
Detoxification: The removal of poisons or toxins from the body.
Fruits should mostly be eaten at night, with the exception of apples, which can be eaten anytime and in as much quantity as you desire. The reason for eating fruits in the later part of the day has to do with how fast they break down and turn into sugar. People who eat too many fruits for breakfast or even at lunch tend to get tired faster and don't have as much endurance. They might also crave sweets in the evenings.
Half a cup of berries or other fruit for breakfast is acceptable if eaten with low-fat cottage cheese or low-fat plain yogurt. Of all the berries, the blueberry gives you the most nutrition. Many of my clients include half a cup of organic blueberries in their diets each day. Blueberries have unique DNA protective properties, slowing the degenerative effects of aging on the brain. They also assist in preventing the binding of carcinogens to your DNA. Other recommended berries are strawberries, raspberries and elderberries.
• apples • kiwis • pears • apricots • lemons/limes • persimmons • berries (all) • melons • pineapples* • cherries (tart red) • nectarines • plums • grapefruit • oranges • tomatoes† • grapes (red & purple) • peaches
Eat only a third as many fruits, berries and melons per day as total vegetables (for example: one cup of vegetables—one-third cup of fruit). There is a chemical in grapefruit that increases the potency of medications; so if you are taking medication, avoid grapefruits and grapefruit juice. Even though all fruits are sweet, some have higher fiber content, which slows the absorption of sugar.
The best fruit is the apple.
• High in malic acid—a good solvent for stagnant bile in the liver.
• Pectin (gelatinous substance found in apples) helps with cardiovascular and digestive health.
• May lower incidence of cancer.
• In its whole form, it is high in fiber and slows insulin response.
• High in potassium and contains no sodium.
Don't eat the following fruits, as they have extra sugar content with lower fiber: bananas, dates, figs, raisins, canned fruits, dried fruits and mangoes. And definitely avoid juices. The fiber in the whole fruit buffers the fat-making hormone insulin.
The 7 Principles of Fat Burning
Having the correct plan for your body type is a much easier and faster and healthier way to keeping the weight off. In The 7 Principles of Fat Burning we not only tell you what to do but we change the way you look at calories, hormones and fat burning so you CAN finally succeed. ...read more